Sunday, November 13, 2005

I Want To Vote!---But Where???

Before I go any further, I want to offer a disclaimer. Having been over the road for the majority of the past two decades and having changed residential addresses at least a dozen times during the same period, I honestly do not know where I am supposed to cast my vote physically! I say this up front for those who may read that I am being hypocritical, given my propensity to rail about informed involvement or the lack thereof. If charged previously I would have been pronounced guilty of the lack thereof portion. However, age and owning a home changes ones priorities. I'm here to stay!

Having said that, I have voted in the last few elections via absentee ballot which in itself was a challenge. It is a simple thing to obtain if you are in town during the week when the courthouse is open. The only other hurdle is showing up on the day/hour that the person who handles said ballot is present! But I digress.

I spent all day today on the internet with one goal in mind. To become informed. I wanted to know who in local, state, and federal government was representing me in as a citizen of New Albany,Floyd County, Indiana in those three arenas.

Twelve hours later I have a wealth of information about my representatives politcal affiliation, when their terms expire, and how to contact them via web, email, or snail mail. On the federal and state level I now know what district I reside in.

But alas on the city/county level I have failed in my quest. I have not yet found a local district/precinct map that is legible nor any information concerning where to look.

My point is this. I know that I can get what I need from the Court House or City /County Building, but it is rather difficult as well as frowned upon to park a 70 foot rig on Spring Street during normal business hours. It is also illegal as hell! So why in this age of endless information
is something this simple so hard to find?

Albeit I appear to be whining , I'm really not . There are just a lot hurdles to jump in order to do one's civic duty and those who work 8 to 5's find it not worth the effort. Perhaps this is one reason that voting age public shows up in so small numbers at the polls. A weak excuse? Yes, for many. But for many others it's just too much aggravation what with the high cost of living, the risk of losing a job for missing an hour of work, and other worries inherent with raising a family.

Do I have a solution? None save a suggestion. Perhaps those who are currently in office and are seeking to remain there could see the advantage of publishing this information where it is readily available for all eligible voters.

However I would like to pose a question as food for thought. Given my distrust of most things political, do you suppose that many in office would cringe at the prospect of a truly informed voting population actively participating in the process?? Just a thought.

4 Comments:

At Tue Nov 15, 05:44:00 AM, Blogger edward parish said...

Just stumble to your blog via Baylors's blog. My answer to your question is this, they do not want the masses to know anything. Keeep them ignorant of the details and the elite can keep control. Yeah right.
Good blog, keep it up.

 
At Tue Nov 15, 11:39:00 PM, Blogger All4Word said...

THEY expect you to stay ignorant. Half of them are elitist (if you won't work to find out what you need to know, F You), and half of them rely on you to exercise your franchise only casually, paying attention only at the absolute last moment and re-acting, instead of pro-acting.

And one again, Viewer, welcome. Honesty is in short supply, so View From the Highway is most welcome.

 
At Tue Nov 15, 11:43:00 PM, Blogger All4Word said...

L

I maintain on the wall of my store both a city and a county precinct map. If you look in your wallet for your voter registration card, or bring by you addy, we can suss out who it is that "represents" you.

I know, it's a shame we don't know (I sure didn't when I registered to vote), but that's why we're different. We seek to add to our knowledge. We don't assume that we know it all, already.

On a dare, I couldn't tell you who my county council rep is right now, and I've spent the better part of a year seeking.

 
At Tue Nov 15, 11:54:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

It's refreshing to know that I'm not drifting alone in this boat. Who knows, if we paddle long enough, we may even find land!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home