Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Kudo's For a Job Well Begun!!

There was a pre-council meeting workshop held last evening during which council members heard from various city officials the administrations take on code enforcement and housing issues.

Although public comments were not allowed during this time, I must give credit to the administration, the building commission, and the council members for at last acknowledging what citizens have been advocating for the past several years.

Members from all of these entities went on record as recognizing rental property as a business and vowing to seek out ways to regulate it as such.

Aspects of the subject such as citywide registration of rental property, inspection of such prior to occupancy, beefed up code enforcement, and looking to how other cities in Indiana have dealt with the issue were discussed.

In the end a three councilmen committee was formed to take a closer look at the subject and come back to the council with recommendations as to solutions that fit New Albany.

Well Done President Gahan!! Keep it up!

As for the Council Meeting proper, there will be others posting elsewhere on the details but the big news of the night was the passage on first reading of a comprehensive smoking ban for our city.

I’m quite sure there will be much more discussion both within and without before this one hears 2nd & 3rd reading.

Still, I’ll always give the devil his due and this Council for the first time in a very long time actually looked like an advocate for it’s’ city’s best long term interests last evening.

Good job ladies & gentlemen! Keep up the momentum!!

4 Comments:

At Tue Aug 05, 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Christopher D said...

were we at the same meeting???

 
At Tue Aug 05, 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Highwayman said...

Note that I said "a job well begun"!

I'm under no illusion that either issue is near being solved.

My point is that the discussion on both was at least visibly, more on point and less on politically correct.

As I've said many times, I'll take any hint of forward movement and run as far as I can with it.

We are all quick to admonish when our elected officials screw up but I for one am quite willing to give them a pat on the back when I decern ANY sign of understanding on their part.

Personally, as to the smoking issue, I'm an all or nothing advocate. Having said that, at no time in human history has any government been able to gain control over an individuals vice preferences short of killing him/her.

For local government to try is the ultimate waste of resources.

As to the rental property question, I'm encouraged by what I heard from many of them in spite of whether or not they meant it.

If they drop the ball again, trust me, I'll be in the lead to pounce on them with zeal.

 
At Tue Aug 05, 12:10:00 PM, Blogger Christopher D said...

I do see your point, and retract my previous statement, I still have a rather jagged pill stuck in my throat for feeling forced to maintain silence...
I wish I had the chance to talk with you last night!!

 
At Tue Aug 05, 01:07:00 PM, Blogger Iamhoosier said...

Council members passionate about their positions, yet, mostly respectful of the other side. Seemingly basic agreement between the executive and legislative branches on the need for more and better code enforcement. Was it really a New Albany City Council meeting that I attended last night?

Whether we agree or disagree with the votes and the courses of action taken last night, it was all done in a proper and commendable way. I've seen very little of that during the time I have been attending meetings.

I was very disappointed that another committee was not appointed last night. But that is a topic for another day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home