Monday, December 11, 2006

I'm Going Be a Father!...(inlaw)

My firstborn went to Russia for the first time about five years ago now and as luck would have it, came home awestruck by a pretty young lass from Moscow.

Since then he has returned for visits on several occasions and about a year ago decided to take the plunge and gave her an engagement ring.

Upon learning of this and having seen the trials & tribulations of a couple of close freinds who have traveled this path, I felt it my duty as a father to question whether he had thought this through.

He, being blessed (cursed) with what a Marine Corps Colonel once described to me as "that Wimp pigheadedness" , just smiled and said "It'll be fine!"

So here we are, many months, several plane tickets, and more phone bills & overnight faxes than I really want to know about. She is going to land on good ole USA terra firma on the 19th of this month.

#1 son is going to meet her in New York, spend a couple of days in the Big Apple, and then take her to her home in Fort Meyers, FL. He seems confident that growing up in Moscow she is really going to dig sandy beaches, alligators in the back yard, and palmetto bugs the size of small rats. I have my doubts, especially about the bugs, but I wish them the best of luck!

If all goes as planned, they'll be in Indiana for a few days during Christmas week and I'm looking forward to meeting her.

Grandkids! BAH HUMBUG!

4 Comments:

At Tue Dec 12, 09:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dad...
it'll be fine!

Jonathan

 
At Thu Dec 14, 05:00:00 AM, Blogger edward parish said...

Wimp pigheadedness? Priceless.

As a dad, whom has a son, who has a wife, it ain't so bad. Hate that he is 600 miles away almost all the time, but glad she is 600 miles away if you get my drift(tongue in cheek).

 
At Sun Dec 17, 10:56:00 PM, Blogger SBAvanti63 said...

On the upside, Fort Myers has had a store catering to Russian and other Eastern European immigrants for the past few years. Tell your son, if he doesn't know about it, that it's on S. 41 in a small shopping center just past Alico Road. Well, at least it was before I moved to NA sixteen months ago ... :-)

 
At Mon Dec 18, 07:56:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll pass it onto him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home