Saturday, April 08, 2006

Double Trippin' (smokin' the homegrown?)

The professor's latest installment has left me with more questions than it has answers and again, since they cannot be asked directly over yonder, I'll have to pose them here.

First of all what exactly is the job of the New Albany Flood Control District Board of Commissioners?

Are Ron Graingier, Charles Baird, Gary Sams, Clinton Sorrels, and Charles Weigleb full time employees of this board or city employees in other departments?

If they are employed by this board, what are their daily responsibilities? What are we paying them to do specifically?

Is Ms. Mastrolia the executive secretary for this this board only or are her duties shared between this board and the Mayor?

Is her $10,000 per annum salary for her work with the Mayor or with the board?

If Shane Gibson is in fact the cities part time attorney, how can he possibly be on the full time payroll from 8AM to 4PM Monday thru Friday?

Is Mr. Gibson acting as the part time city attorney on this board or as legal council for this board itself, or none of the above?

As for Anthony Torran, Tom Cannon, and Ron Torran, do thier 8A to 4P job descriptions have anything to do with the responsibilities of this particular board specifically?

Albeit may appear that I am trying to be a wiseass here, I'm not. As a citizen I truly Do Not Know the answers to these question! But I feel that I must before I can make an informed judgement as to whether or not these people have their hands in the cookie jar.

My understanding is that most if not all of the various board positons are appointments either by the Mayor or the City Council! If that is not correct, please educate me.

If I am correct, then it appears to me that we are asking people to do extra work for the taxpayers benefit above and beyond their primary job description. I further conclude that some of our citizens feel cheated by the fact these people get paid a stipend for this extra work.

Now for the really big questions!

Are any of you willing to work overtime away from your families without pay? I,m not!

Are any of you more qualified either by experience base or education in this particular field of expertise than those who have been appointed to serve? For if they were appointed to this task for any reason other than the fact they have experience or education in this field, we are in more trouble than we know! We would have to conclude that the person or persons who did the appointing are less informed than we on the street are! That possibility is too scary to even consider!

By the way, if you can prove your qualifications by degree or experience to do these jobs and are willing to do then for nothing, please step forward! We apparently need you to save us from ourselves!

The last question is this. Do you know anyone who is qualified and willing to accept these positions for nothing? If so, how do we attract them to serve the public? Please answer, for inquiring minds need to know!!

By the way, in reference to the title of this post. Partaking of home grown recreational drugs, is like drinking cheap beer. They both react negatively with ones brain cells and cause irreparable damage!

Have a great weekend New Albany!!

8 Comments:

At Sat Apr 08, 03:49:00 PM, Blogger All4Word said...

I don't know about you, but I'd be leery of volunteer trogs maintaining the flood wall. This is all envy and vented spleen, and to even pretend that any of this is secret knowledge is disingenuous, at best, and calculated only to obscure.

Of course, these boards have been around forever, and they are outstanding examples of citizens governing themselves. Getting paid for it does NOT diminish it, and who gets appointed is a question of capability and interest. The appointing authority vests trust in these folks, so it really doesn't matter if Erika likes it or not. I know the mayor publicly asks for applicants for all appointments.

 
At Sat Apr 08, 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

all4word,
I agree, that prospect is a scary one to imagine.

I would however like to see them come up with something other than innuendo and speculation to prove their point.

 
At Mon Apr 10, 01:26:00 AM, Blogger maury k goldberg said...

Dear highwayman,

I read your post on my blog. It will be hard to answer you right away because passover starts this week and We, my wife and I, will be preparing for the holidays. I will get the information to you as quickly as I can.

Maury

 
At Tue Apr 11, 01:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tue Apr 11, 10:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tue Apr 11, 01:22:00 PM, Blogger Jeff Gillenwater said...

Hmm, our board arrangement seems to oddly follow statute. Erika didn't mention that.

At any rate, the big pitch these days is to bring more city operations and concerns under the purview of the City Council. Given that body's current level of dysfunction, it's difficult to imagine why anyone would consider that to be a good idea.

 
At Tue Apr 11, 04:54:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

To $$$$$$$$$$$ said... and
anonymous said...,

Please beleive me when I say I am grateful for the information you both contributed.

However, be reminded that I will not allow anonymous comments on this site.

Myself and others like me are out front with who we are and what we stand for. This is not Nazi Germany on 1940 and as such none of us should be afraid of openly expressing ourselves. On the contrary, we should be proud of the fact that we live in a country and time where we can still do so without having our doors kicked in and hauled off to parts unknown!

This is one of those many freedoms that we all rail about being our right as Americans, but put in mortal danger of loosing by not using it!

Wear it like a badge of honor! Or as a good friend of mine is so fond of saying, "STAND UP AND SPEAK YOUR MIND... EVEN IF YOUR VOICE QUAKES!!!"

Again, thank you both for your input! I am now a little more informed than I was before!

Lloyd Wimp

 
At Wed Apr 12, 10:21:00 PM, Blogger edward parish said...

I'm for more recreational drugs and quality brewed beer, does that disqualify me from your opinion poll?

Lighten up Lloyd, progressive doesn't always mean so right to the cause. Think Sam Adams Honey Porter and a laced up Black n' Mild.
Chill my old friend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home