Friday, November 30, 2007

Just For the Fun of it.....

I had every intention of going to The Keg's final beer tasting of the year last evening so late in the afternoon I called Rog to see if he was going to be there.

As luck would have it, he said he was getting ready to phone to inform me about Frank Thackery's retirement bash at the BBC Taproom and inquire if I was interested in going. While I've never attended IUS as a student, I've been drinking beer with Prof.'s Thackery, Sloss, Newman, and others for nearly as long as Richo's has been open so I said Hell Yeah!

I'd also never been to the Taproom so I picked Roger up at the Pub and proceeded across the river to imbibe & visit. We arrived early, grabbed a couple of pints, & commenced munching on the pizzas we'd carried over with us. Jon and Ed showed up a short time later, ordered another round and we had a nice quite visit. (I know Ed, quiet is relative)

Eventually Jake, Bob & Mindy, and the others wandered in, we mingled for a while and then elected to roam back to the Public House for another pint before going home.

Somewhere between pints two & three Bluegill and his friend Roy popped in and I knew it was going to be a long night.

Jon & Ed checked out but the rest of us remained and had one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had this entire year. It was the first time in probably two years that I've been there with Roger that late as both of us rarely hang out there at night anymore.

For me it was refreshing and reminicent of days gone by consuming great beer and conversing with friends both old and new.

Thanks guys & gals! We need to do it more often.

4 Comments:

At Sat Dec 01, 06:22:00 AM, Blogger edward parish said...

Same here. To have you go off on what you plan to do for the next admins agenda was priceless. Real good humor with a message.

The PhD's missed it, they should have had Frank's gig ar the Public House where they all hung out. Not sure what happened there other than most live in Louisville.

As far as us leaving, some of us work for a living, lol.

 
At Sat Dec 01, 10:58:00 AM, Blogger Jeff Gillenwater said...

To have you go off on what you plan to do for the next admins agenda was priceless.

Having missed Frank's earlier shindig, the above certainly set the tone for the rest of the evening. I'm now convinced the whole truck driving gig was merely a cover for staying a state or two ahead of the authorities.

Having said that, maybe I'll get a call from the newspaper.

BTW, does the author mind if I use "somewhere between pints two & three" for my epitaph? We could negotiate pint four as a royalty, further proving the late for one's own funeral theory.

 
At Sat Dec 01, 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

“As far as us leaving, some of us have to work for a living!”

Thanks for nothin' Ed---you've just reminded me how much going back to work in January is going to cramp my lifestyle! (joke)

BG, feel free to use poetic license as you see fit.

We might want to skip the newspapers though. There may still be some old wanted posters hanging around in a few of those states!

 
At Sat Dec 01, 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home