Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What Is There For Kids To Do In New Albany??

This question was asked by a parent at a meeting I attended earlier this week and it occurred to me that I did not know. Apparantly no one else in the room did either for as far as I know, the lady never got an answer. Her queary was a valid one however following a presentation about street gangs and how they prey on our young people. She's looking for ways to protect her kids by finding safe ways and places to expel their pent up energy but like many of us, she doesn't know who to ask or what to ask for. I'm sure she is not alone in this quest.

This got to bugging me as I was waiting against a dock to get unloaded this morning, so I started by going thru the phone book.

I found that we have a Boys & Girls Club on Ekin Avenue that serves children ages 5 thru 18 from 9AM to 5PM Monday thru Friday. I was unable to get any more info on what this program consists of, but I left a message and was promised a return call. Their phone number is 944-4343 if anyone is interested in follow up. If you have additional info, please share!

Then when I got home, I went online to the parks department webpage http://nafcparks.org/Landingpage.htm and found this link: http://nafcparks.org/2006summerfunguide.pdf !

It seems that there are a myriad of summer activities for young people if one takes a little time to research.

If anyone else knows of other free or affordable activities, post 'em in the comments section and we'll spread the word!

This has been a public service announcement from your freindly Highwayman!

9 Comments:

At Wed Jun 21, 09:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hanging out as a teenager in NA is probably the same as it was thirty years ago, ZERO. But does any teen hang out? Sixteen means driving and going wherever the same age group and pier pressures will guide them. The real question is what is there to do for the immigrant teens? Oh but not one single white person gives a crap about them because they are not from around here and there not white. You H'way dude should get that one.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 10:33:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

bolivia,

First things first.
1) As a rule, I don't allow anonomous comments on this site but I'll give you one free shot because I want to address your issue. You can email me privatly and I'll keep your identity to myself if you wish, but in the future, I need to know who you are!

2) The lady in question was more concerned with what was available for the 5 to 12 year old group as opposed to teens. My hope would be that by addressing that group they would have interests that went somewhat beyond just "hangin' out" by the time they were sixteen!

Personaly, at sixteen I had a full time summer job and a car payment. Child labor laws may have saved a few from sweat shop secenaros, but have left a vast number of people with no constructive place to expel overloads of pent up energy and frustration. From where I stand they have done more harm than good.

3) What is there for teens to do? Well for starters, check out the links I posted.

4)As to the ethnic question, this Anglo/Saxon Scot Irish Native American doesn't care from whence you came as long as you treat me in a civilized manner. At this point in human history we have only two choices left to us; A) Put down our purses and learn to co-exist, or B) Get out the bats and go at it!

Me, I'll vote for option (A).

By the way, stay tuned for my research is not over yet. The question is if something constructive is found for the teenage group to do, will they ntake advantage of it???

 
At Thu Jun 22, 07:16:00 AM, Blogger edward parish said...

Use your air horns Lloyd, Minister of the Lorries.

 
At Thu Jun 22, 01:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, as a wee young lad, mowed lawns, played Little League baseball, went to the public pool, and took part in school camps. My father worked swing shifts, so I walked or rode my bike to practices/activities much of the time.

I'm not sure how the current environment is for allowing a 10-12 year-old to go walking/riding alone to these sorts of things, but I can't immagine that these aren't still viable activities for young poeple of ANY ethnicity.

Roz

 
At Thu Jun 22, 01:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I forgot...we also played baseball/tennisball, basketball, wiffleball, etc...in the neighborhood and got in fights occiasionally.

Roz

 
At Thu Jun 22, 04:55:00 PM, Blogger Iamhoosier said...

Not sure what there is for kids. I have a hard enough time finding something good for me to do on my free Saturday afternoons. (smile Roz & Lloyd)

 
At Thu Jun 22, 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

Relax children for I have found the best kept secret in New Albany!

Check this out;

http://www.bgckyana.org/

There is intelligent life on the planet and hope springs eternal!!

 
At Fri Jun 23, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger edward parish said...

Just curiuos as to why you would not trust your child at Sam Peden Park or Camille Wright Pool? A parent or guardian would be with a child of those ages at either one of the mentioned and what better way to spend the summer.

I agree with Roz, we played baseball all summer long and had no adults to supervise, but that was in the mid to late 60's. yes times have changed,and yes I grew up in a small town.

There is a lot of good in this city and the surrounding communities and surely they out way the bad. Trusting one another is a hard thing to except, but that is what makes stronger neighborhoods, not reclusion. Remember, you cannot judge a book by its cover.

 
At Sun Jun 25, 03:15:00 PM, Blogger Ann said...

My daughter just took up martial arts lessons at Terry Middleton's school on East Market--a great way to expel energy plus learn self defense skills, thus making it safer for kids as they get older and want to do things on their own.

It's a good deal, too--2 months of lessons 2 times per week, plus a uniform and instructional video for $99. Kids have to be at least 7.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home