Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Great White Death

The better part of the past week was spent living in mortal fear of the seasons inagural snow event. It was billed by the local weather gurus as possibly being Katrina's evil twin in terms of pending catastrophe. Bread and milk sales reached pre depression proportions while state and local officials assured us that all was under control.

Wednesday afternoon was spent spraying green slime on the highways, bridges,overpasses, and exit ramps. We were told that if this magic solution was applied prior to the storm it would prevent the roadway from icing over. This with the added proviso that it must dry before the pavement temperature dropped to below freezing.

Thursday morning I deliverd & reloaded in Frankfort and returned to Louisville. The drive over was uneventful but the return trip resembled something akin to novice ice skaters on rollerblades. I never was able to ascertain whether or not the slime kept the ice away but it had some healthy fertilizer components in it. Within the borders of the grassy median of I64 there had sprung up vechicles of all colors, shapes and models imaginable. The seed planters however did a lousy job for there was not a straight row to be found anywhere. You just can't get good help these days!

I managed to arrive back to the yard safely without incident and went directly to Richo's for my final beer before the real storm hit. If die I must I wanted one more pint of Guinness before passing on.

Friday came and once again the snow god's had granted us a reprieve. How do we get so lucky?
Oh well, the season has just begun.

This morning I sat down with a cup of java and the Sunday CJ. In the Notes From Washington article on page B5 I came across a blurb saying that our 9th District Representative Mike Sodrel and several of his colleagues were hobknobbing with Rudolph Giuliani at The Grand Havana Room on 5th Avenue to receive a big pat on the back for a job well done. What job that was I can't say but at $2500 to $25,000 per plate it must have been one hell of a good job indeed!

Well me being me, the article raised my ire and I spent most of the afternoon collecting my own statistical research which I hope to send to congressman Sodrel in a letter soon. When I get it done I'll post a copy on this site for your reading pleasure or disgust.

Since I had to forego that project while awaiting information forthcoming I ventured forth to train my computer to recoginize my voice and installed a webcam. Alas both of those events ended at about the same stage as Sodrel's communique but at least it gave me something to post this evening. Gotta keep the fans reading or they will abandon me for sure!

Speaking of fans, rest up you all. Saturnalia begins in five short days! There is a god afterall!

1 Comments:

At Mon Dec 12, 06:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wednesday: Haggisdaddy I holds court.

Sir Tate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home