Friday, January 12, 2007

Perhaps a Two Front Battle?

I originally posted this on the Tribune forum but elected to put it up here also to get more coverage.

OK the truth is I don't have two topics a day in my repertoire. So fire me already!

Many of us have for over a year struggled with the code enfoercement issue, or the lack thereof with very minor sucess.

Should we give up or should we perhaps get equally aggressive with another important aspect of the battle while we continue the first? Should we wage a two front offense?


Consider the following;

There are over 7,000 residences in the inner New Albany area. One very smart fellow told me there were as many as 3,000 substandard units. We know there is about 60% rental properties.

So while code enforcement might be able to address the most egregious of violations, how long do you think it will take a superman Building Commissioner, who never sleeps, to address even a fraction of these effectively? (New Albany Building Commissioner's office is another understaffed and underfunded entity by the way.) If he successfully corrected two or three every month (no easy task), that would be about 1% of the estimated problem in a year.

Code enforcement is needed for sure, but it is not the only answer and perhaps not the best answer.

Nor is city government that is unwilling to stick its neck out gonna be an answer any time soon.

Cops don't stop speeding, traffic design does.

Code enforcement won't stop slumlords, but higher property values will. We need plans that bring investment and demand to downtown New Albany.

That's where the neighborhoods and opinion leaders should be putting some of their energy.

The slumlords are laughing that everyone is struggling to pursue a solution that will only take care of 1% of the problem.

Strike any bells?

12 Comments:

At Sat Jan 13, 06:31:00 PM, Blogger G Coyle said...

In a free market system, you're right Lloyd, only the economics changing will seriously impact the nature of housing. I'm taking advantage of the situation by purchasing one of these old houses that I believe is undervalued. I'd buy more if I could. I think in 10-20 years this place will be rockin'. I look forward to the day the ghetto is suburban.

 
At Sat Jan 13, 11:10:00 PM, Blogger The New Albanian said...

Hey, Lloyd - one of the anonymous cowards found his/her/its way over here to your place.

 
At Sat Jan 13, 11:41:00 PM, Blogger G Coyle said...

Yeah - I'm starting to feel like I have a shadow. Well, hope the sun comes out here soon.

 
At Sun Jan 14, 10:10:00 AM, Blogger Highwayman said...

Yeh Roger he/she did, but they have a short life span here.

Now if we can only find the delete button for rats & slumlords!

 
At Sun Jan 14, 09:36:00 PM, Blogger Christopher D said...

Highway
Just to let you know, I just recently "won" a small but MAJOR victory in my slum lord battle. After years of complaints, arguments, and letters. the City apparrently finally came down hard on the the owner of the property next door and forced him to tear down and haul off the crumbling, half smashed garage in the back of the property.
My secret weapon of last reserve, what else, my lovely wife, whom turns into the most demanding, persistant, deliberate person I have ever seen when some one pisses her off. And this slumlord did.

 
At Sun Jan 14, 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

What is that old country saw? Oh yeah "Hell hath no fury like a women scorned!"

My compliments to your wife. I've been saying all along we had resources at our disposale that we had not use yet!

By the way, I'm sending you an email for your awareness!

 
At Mon Jan 15, 02:13:00 PM, Blogger Christopher D said...

I just wonder if it could be possible for the city to pass an ordinance that would allow the formation of something along the lines of the Auxiliary Police, except to work strictly in code enforcment. If they could put their heads together, they would realize that there are probably alot of retired/semi retired persoms with tons of building experience who may be willing to step up and help out. If these "volunteer" code enforcement officers could even do so much as to issue ordinance violation citations, much the same as parking tickets are for ordinance violations, not state statutes, that could provide a tool for the city to use to present a case of non-compliance, and basically allow a lein against the property that if was not satisafied, could enable the city to take away the property.
I fully realize that do effectively do this, we would have to have a city court, but by God, I think it is about time that we did one anyway. the fines levied against the flagrant ordinance violators could potentially support the court even if it only operated one day per week.

 
At Mon Jan 15, 02:30:00 PM, Blogger Iamhoosier said...

csd619,
Now that is thinking outside the box. The biggest problem, on first thought, would be the potential for politicizing the "volunteers" but that is always a possibility(probability?) with any group.

 
At Mon Jan 15, 03:36:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

Mark,
If I didn't know better, I'd think you are a cynic.

 
At Mon Jan 15, 04:24:00 PM, Blogger Iamhoosier said...

Lloyd,
Cynic?! I prefer pragmatist but others would say ignorant, stupid, gray, idiot and utterly without any socially redeeming qualities. Cynic ain't so bad.

Happy belated birthday! I owe you a beer. How cynical is that?

A much younger,
Mark

 
At Mon Jan 15, 07:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Mark is "reprogressive," like Steve Price?

LOL!!!

Just kidding Iamhoosier...

A way way younger Roz

 
At Mon Jan 15, 08:07:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

Yes my sons, but with age comes wisdom! Now where did I leave that Scotch?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home