Sunday, December 18, 2005

Merry.....? Happy......? or Bring on the $$$$$$?

In this age of being politically correct on the one hand and desiring to become a truly global community on the other I am becoming ever more confused. I could have sworn that the '60's were all about integration as opposed to segregation and that America was the great melting pot of any and all social, political, economic, educational, and religious backgrounds. I was further taught that out of all that diversity had come a nation of people that shared the common goal of freedom while being secure in their right to retain their individuality. In other words I grew up with the belief that I could eat well done steak while my neighbor ate baked fish and after we could share bowl of homemade ice cream without the steak or fish becoming an issue. I suppose growing up in a rural area I was more isolated from reality than I realized.

As we enter this (I'm afraid to try to name it) season I am once again amazed and appalled at the manner in which we deal with it. Originated as a pagan ritual, cloned as a religous one, and ultimately to be bastardized into commercial capital venture we have arrived at a point where none can be true to themselves for fear of being offensive to the others.

So the commercial capitalists placate the Christians by allowing them to collect goodies and change outside their entrance so long as it is done quietly.

The megamember Christians have elected to forgo a (dare I say it?) Christmas Day service this year in leau of the volunter church staff being home with their families on that day. But wait a minute, I'm sorely confused! Isn't the congregation their family? Did I not hear or read somewhere that sacrifice was considered Godly? What of those in the pew that have considered the birthday of their saviour one of the holiest of the calender year? Oh, I forgot about Easter didn't I. Jesus' death was held in higher regard than his life anyway and the people can just put their Christmas offering on interest until then and drop it in the plate can't they?

Just in case this is not enough hypocrisy to go around I noted in the paper today that our evangelical President chose to omit any referance to Christ in the White House greeting card this year because they were sent to "people of all faiths"! But all is not lost for the capitol tree is once more a Christmas Tree!

I spoke in error earlier when I stated that none were true to themselves. The pagans among us are indeed true to our contrarian selves. We will hoist a pint with all who desire to do so and will debate the hours away with any who are willing to be honest enough to claim their position!

And with that at the risk of being hypocritcal myself, Safe Journeys, Happy Holidays, and (what the hell) Merry Christmas to one and all!!

4 Comments:

At Sun Dec 18, 09:31:00 PM, Blogger All4Word said...

I have to tell you how welcome it is to have you present in the blogosphere.

I've before given the advice (honored by me in the breach, admittedly) that a proper Web log should post daily.

I recant.

View is best savored as the muse strikes. Thanks, Highwayman, for bringing illumination to us.

And as the token non-pagan sympathizer to what is becoming a community I treasure, let me wish you a Merry Christmas, while hoisting a delightful tankard of Mahr's Xmas Bock. Cheers! and Joyeux Noel.

 
At Sun Dec 18, 10:01:00 PM, Blogger Highwayman said...

Thanks all4word. I just roll the dice and take my chances. Sometimes it seems to work.

I thoroughly enjoy your work as well as your kind words and I wish you & yours a happy, safe holiday season.

Now bring on the clowns and 2006!

Cheers!

 
At Mon Dec 19, 08:32:00 AM, Blogger edward parish said...

From pagan sympathizer central I'll give your post four stars. The holiday season is all about money and most people will admit that but you have your token few that try to stand the course of, well you know. People can believe what they wish and celebrate it in any which way they wish, that is why we live in the grand 50 states. If you can ever find it, view the History Channel's Holiday Special about how the pagen rituals were adopted for the December celebrations, most interesting.

 
At Wed Dec 21, 02:45:00 PM, Blogger The New Albanian said...

Bring on the Roman chicks.

Just joking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home